This is a great dish for having guests over for a casual setting, a whole potato is too much for snacking, but these thin slices work for all appetites. Tell the kids they are potato chips and a watch them disappear.
- 4 large white or sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- Garlic Salt
- Optional Cooking Topping: bacon, minced fresh herbs, spices, grated cheese, panko crumbs
- Optional Serving Topping: Sour Cream
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes
- Cut slits in the potatoes, leaving the bottom intact
- Rinse sliced potato, to help promote separation of layers by flushing away some starches.
- Arrange the potatoes in a baking dish and brush the potatoes all over with butter or other fat, including the bottoms.
- Sprinkle the potatoes generously with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the potatoes again with fat. Make sure to get fat better the slices.
- Bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy on the edges and easily pieced in the middles with a paring knife. If you’re adding any extras, stuff those into the slits and sprinkle over the top 5 to 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
Source: The Kitchn