Leave the regular pancake mix in the pantry, get out the cream cheese and make a batch of pancakes like you’ve never had before. These cheesecake like pancakes are sure to fill you up and leave you wondering why you didn’t try to mix in cream cheese sooner.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut up
- 3 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda, salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk. Add cream cheese and mix until cream cheese has separated into uniformly small lumps, about the size of large cottage cheese curds. Stir in melted butter, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, then stir to combine. Whisk two egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold gently into batter.
- Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over medium high heat, until a drop of water sizzles. Lower heat to medium; butter or oil pan. Drop batter into pan by 1/3 cupfuls. Once the batter has spread, drop in the berries. You might want to drizzle some batter to cover them. These need to be cooked a bit longer than you might expect; they won’t bubble as quickly or as much as plain pancakes. Turn down the heat if necessary, to keep them from overbrowning, and let them puff up to their full extent after you turn them, which will take 2-3 minutes.
Source: Food 52