Surprisingly enough, we struggled to get consistent results when making hard boiled eggs. Using this steam method has made this a foolproof recipe.
- 2-8 eggs depending on steamer basket size
- Fill a large pot about a quarter full with water and bring to a slow to rapid boil (205+ degrees).
- Add cold eggs to steamer basket, place insert inside of pot and cover.
- Steam eggs for 15 minutes, while continuing to keep the heat (medium) on the stovetop.
- While eggs are steaming fill a large bowl with ice water, the colder the better.
- When 15 minutes are up, gently place eggs one at a time into ice bath.
- Let eggs rest at least 15 minutes in ice bath.
- The eggs can now be stored for up to 5 days. Peeling under cool running water helps remove the shell easier.
Source: Serious Eats