Next time you see a nice Challah bread at the store, think about picking one up to try out this great french toast recipe. It’s simple, but a great way to have a restaurant style meal at home and save some big money.
- 30 slices of Challah bread, cut to about 1/4 to 1/2 (6mm to 1cm) thick
- 1 qt (960mL) milk
- 8 eggs
- 2 oz (57g) sugar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 5 to 10 oz (142 to 284g) butter
- Dry the sliced bread overnight or in a 200 degree F (93 degree C) oven for an hour.
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. (May refrigerate until needed).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease with butter.
- Dip bread into batter, coating evenly and fry until one side browned; flip and repeat.
- Serve with butter and syrup, you may keep slices warm in very low oven.
Source: The Professional Chef