The bags of frozen hash browns never turned out well for me. This recipe takes a little time, but produces the best hash browns I have had to date.
- 1.5 lbs. (660g) Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes
- 1 stick (125g) Butter, unsalted
- 1 1/4 tsp (7g) Kosher Salt
- Chives and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean and peel potatoes
- Cut potatoes on mandoline 1mm thick, place in small piles and make 1mm cuts (like matchsticks) or use your food processor to shred potatoes.
- Add potatoes to large mixing bowl of cold water to rinse away excess starch.
- Drain potato shreds and place on a towel to dry and remove water from potatoes.
- Melt butter and return potatoes to now empty mixing bowl, add butter and salt and mix by hand carefully.
- Heat a large 12″ oven safe nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and add potatoes. Flatten potatoes to get good contact with the bottom of pan.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the bottom looks to be golden and crisp.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and flip potatoes over, return to oven and bake another 10-15 minutes.
- Once golden on both sides, remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes.
- Garnish with salt, pepper and chives.
Source: Chef StepsTags: breakfast, hashbrowns, pomme rosti, pommes, potatoes