This souffle is really easy and is very very good. Texture comes out like a gooey rich brownie and is fun to watch rise in the oven while it bakes. Save the $8 at the restaurant and make one at home.
- 34g Unsalted butter, plus extra for coating ramekins
- 98g Granulated Sugar, plus extra for coating ramekins
- 34g Bread flour
- 7g Salt
- 188g Milk
- 135g Dark Chocolate
- 68g Egg Yolk (About 3 eggs)
- 112g Egg White (About 5 eggs)
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (191 degrees C).
- Coat ramekins with butter and sugar
- Combine flour, butter and salt with your hands
- In a small pot combine milk and sugar and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling whisk in flour and butter mixture until dissolved. Continue to cook over low heat until mixture becomes thick and gummy.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted and combined.
- Add egg yolk until combined.
- In a stand mixer, whisk eggs whites to a light foam – add sugar and whisk until stiff glossy peaks have formed.
- Gently fold meringue into chocolate base, in roughly 1/3 increments.
- Fill souffles to the top, using the back of a knife to remove excess.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Remove and dust with powdered sugar, serve quickly as they will quickly deflate.
Source: Chef Steps