Everyone loves a fresh soft pretzel, the possibilities are endless for mix-ins, dips and toppings. These smell amazing and are up there with the best pretzels I have ever had.
- 1 1/2 cups of Water at 110 degrees
- 1 Tbsp of Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 package of Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp of melted Butter
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 6 cups of Water
- 1/3 cup of Baking Soda
- Egg Wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp of water)
- Kosher Salt for topping
- Combine water, sugar, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to foam.
- Add the flour and butter and turn the mixer to low and mix until everything is combined and the dough balls up.
- Place 1 cup of water in microwave and heat on high for 2 minutes. This will act as our proofing box.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover for about 1 hour, place in warm / humid microwave with door shut.
- After 1 hour, preheat your oven to 450 degrees, lay 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly oil the parchment paper.
- Add the water and baking soda to a roasting pan and bring to a rolling boil, meanwhile form the pretzels.
- Once the dough has risen, cut it into 12 equal pieces, roll each piece into a rope and make a U shape, then press the ends of the rope at the bottom of the U shape and pinch the ends. Place your shaped pretzels onto the oiled parchment paper line baking sheets.
- Carefully place the pretzels into the boiling water for 30 seconds one at a time, remove from the boiling water using a flat spatula and put them back on the oiled parchment paper lined baking sheets. Repeat for remaining pretzels.
- Brush pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle each one with a little kosher salt.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until deeply golden brown.
Source: Laura in the Kitchen