Scalloped potatoes remind me more of holiday meals, probably because it is a little more involved than what most would take on for a week day meal. Add it to your list for a fancy Sunday dinner for the family.
- A little butter
- 6.5oz (200ml) whole milk
- 6.5oz (200ml) heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2.5 lbs. (1 kg) potatoes
- 7oz (200g) cheddar cheese (or any mixture like Gruyere and Cheddar)
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. (200 degrees C.) and butter a large ceramic baking dish.
- Combine milk, cream, bay leaf and garlic in a small pot. Heat on low-medium until the mixture begins to bubble on the sides of the pan.
- Peel and slice potatoes using mandolin or by hand. Try to keep it consistent.
- Make layers of sauce, potatoes, salt/pepper, cheese until you are out of ingredients.
- Add additional cheese on top and bake for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown.
- Let set for 10 minutes to thicken and serve.
Source: Gordon RamsayTags: cheesy potatoes, dauphinoise, gratin, layered potatoes, potatoes, scalloped