My favorite way so far to eat zucchini, shredded zucchini casserole with cheese and rice. The only thing missing is an episode of Julia Child making it in the background.
- 2 to 2.5 lbs. zucchini
- 1/2 cup plain white rice
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 3 to 4 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 1/2 cups warm liquid (1 cup milk / see note below)
- 2/3 cup grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Remove stems / tip from zucchini and grate into a large bowl.
- Toss grated zucchini with 2 tsp salt and let rest in the bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Squeeze zucchini by hand, making sure to keep the juices which should be about 1/2 – 1 cup of liquid.
- While zucchini is draining, drop the rice into boiling salted water, bring rapidly back to the boil, and boil exactly 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large (11″) frying pan cook the onions in olive oil until tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in the grated and dried zucchini and garlic for cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Stir in the rice, reserved zucchini juice and milk. You may not need all of the milk, the mixture should be wet, but not soupy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, topping with extra cheese.
- Place in buttered oven safe dish and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Source: Julia Child / Food 52