These cookies are one of my all time favorites: rich, sweet and a soft chewy texture. Don’t worry you can make them all year and not just around the holidays.
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (0.75oz) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (5.25oz) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (1.75 oz) sugar
- 1/4 cup (1.0oz) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together brown sugar, egg and egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.
- Chop chocolate into medium pieces, place in microwave safe bowl and heat at 50% power until melted, 1-2 minutes. Stir until combined.
- Add chocolate to brown sugar until combined. Stir in flour mixture until no flour is visible.
- Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Prepare two small prep bowls, one with sugar and one with powered sugar.
- Dish out 12 balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and roll in sugar bowl and then powered sugar bowl.
- Bake until puffed and cracked, but centers are still soft, about 11 minutes.
- Let cool for roughly 30 minutes before enjoying.