There have been minor tweaks to this chili over the years, however this is the chili that has consistently placed me in the top 3 at many chili contests, including a few wins.
- 2 (29 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 3 (28 oz.) cans peeled and diced tomatoes (fire roasted)
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (approx. 1 medium onion)
- 1 lbs. bacon, diced (easier when cold, maybe freeze for a few min)
- 2 lbs. ground spicy sausage
- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 9 oz. bottle hickory smoke barbecue sauce (I use Weber’s Original Thick/Sweet) (to taste)
- 1/2 cup (8 tbs.) chili powder (or make your own chili paste)
- 4 tbs. Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (blended) – add extra for additional heat
- 4 (15.25 oz.) cans great northern beans, drained/rinsed
- 2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven (7.5qt for me) over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Drain and stir into the pot.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until brown. Drain and stir into the pot.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until brown. Drain and stir into the pot.
- Stir the barbecue sauce and chili powder into the pot; taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the beans and chocolate and simmer until flavors are well blended. Serve.
Note – picture shows kidney beans, I have since switched to great northern beans. Next time I make it, I will add a decent picture as well.
Source: My trial and error